From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 47: Creating 'safe' environment variables
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:30:04
1 On 09-02-2006 23:50:08 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:48:32 +0100 Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Instead of proposing a 4-tuple [3]_ keyword, a 2-tuple
4 > > keyword is chosen for archs that require them.
5 >
6 > Provision should be made for future ports that require more than two
7 > keywords. There's no particular reason to artificially limit this to
8 > two at this stage.
9
10 Can you come up with an example? Unlike Diego, I think this limitation
11 is good, because it defines the format, which makes parsing and such
12 easy. I can't think of an example that doesn't fit in 2-tuple keywords,
13 and if there would be, perhaps that makes this whole GLEP 'unstable',
14 and hence should be replaced completely then.
15 Last but not least, if it doesn't fit in a 2-tuple, then the keyword is
16 probably misused for something it wasn't meant for -- at least as far as
17 I can see right now.
18
19 > Examples of how this lot is to be used in DEPEND= etc would be good for
20 > clarity.
21
22 Ok, I assume you just want to see something like:
23 DEPEND="ppc-macos? ( dev-libs/libpcre )"
24 or
25 DEPEND="x86? ( dev-libs/libpcre )"
26
27 If not, then I don't understand where you're aiming at.
28
29 > You should clarify the env map behaviour when multiple matches all
30 > occur (first match, last match or merge?).
31
32 This is a good point that deserves an example and some careful thoughts,
33 as I'm not sure now if it makes sense to have such situation. In any
34 case, it should be precisely defined.
35
36 > You should probably clarify whether the map is part of Portage itself
37 > or in the tree. If it has to be part of Portage, explain why.
38
39 I think Diego said something about this already, but I'll give it some
40 thoughts.
41
42 > There're various English issues too where things don't scan clearly to
43 > a native reader, but it's probably not worth fixing them at this stage.
44 > Let me know when you reach the point where using precise language is
45 > important and I'll make a list.
46
47 I'll first go through a couple of iterations, then we'll see where we
48 end up. Thanks for the offer anyway.
52 Fabian Groffen
53 Gentoo/Alt -- Under a Mackintosh
54 --