From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [EAPI 7] Cross-compile improvements (BDEPEND, BROOT, sysroot)
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 19:00:34
1 On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 22:58 +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > Sorry
3 [snip]
4 > gentle! :)
5
6 Not sure I have anything meaningful to contribute to the discussion
7 from a technical perspective at the moment, but I just wanted to voice
8 my support for what you're doing with cross: I think Gentoo is setting
9 some kind of standard -- or at least exerting a huge influence -- on
10 the worldwide group-think about what is possible and/or reasonable to
11 expect in cross-buildling frameworks and environments.
12
13 Unfortunately, the "standard" we are setting could clearly be higher.
14
15 Part of that comes down to a lack of manpower and testing at
16 the package level, which is not an easy problem to solve, as it
17 arises from the fundamentals of the market for open-source hacking
18 labor.
19
20 But what could be solved more readily is that the framework we have
21 today conflates some entities and concepts which are unified when
22 building locally, but divergent when cross-building.
23
24 Unravelling those conflations should help everyone  to experience less
25 cognitive dissonance and/or head-scratching-befuddlement, which, in
26 turn, could lead to a more productive, fun and easy-to-use cross-
27 building experience for users and developers alike, without expecting
28 any mysterious motivational forces to materialize from nowhere to
29 rescue us from the desire to watch TV or go on dates.
30
31 Anyhow, I say it's easier, but I know it's still pretty damn hard.  So,
32 thanks for working on this!
33
34 -gmt