From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 2004.0 - New test stages
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:25:41
1 On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:28:51AM -0400, Adrian Almenar wrote:
2 > I think the make.conf that the stage has its very incomplete:
3
4 Use /etc/make.conf.example
5
6 > 1.- I think the docs should have a section were the user can configure the
7 > CHOST variable, so he can change it for optimal performance of his
8 > hardware.
9
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/draft/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=5#doc_chap6_sect2
11
12 > 2.- It should have at least a
13 > #SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage", so the user can change it
14 > to the closest rsync mirror.
15 > 3.- This exactly the same as point three but with GENTOO_MIRRORS.
16
17 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/draft/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=6#doc_chap1_sect1
18
19 It is currently listed as "Optional" step because the default GENTOO_MIRRORS
20 and SYNC settings (which are declared in /etc/make.globals) work.
21
22 > 4.- In the end, it should have a full make.conf cause after bootstraping,
23 > stage2 and stage3, its the same make.conf. So users will start setting
24 > USE vars but then when a portage update comes, the will have to merge a lot
25 > of make.conf code, that usually its not easy for a starting user.
26 > I think its easy to merge a file that has less differences than one having
27 > a lot of differences (Make it more userfriendly.), please dont reply me
28 > with the argument that a user starting with gentoo has to know these
29 > basics, cause we are always talking about trying to have things working
30 > easy for any kind of user. (Again. make it userfriendly.)
31
32 Ideally, the user has been told to set the most important variables in
33 /etc/make.conf (CHOST, CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, USE). I believe all other variables
34 are less important during the installation and are therefor described after
35 the installation instructions (second part of the Gentoo Handbook).
36
37 Wkr,
38 Sven Vermeulen
41 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.