From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fcaps.eclass: bringing filesystem capabilities to the tree
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:59:59
1 Le samedi 26 janvier 2013 à 02:46 -0500, Mike Frysinger a écrit :
2 > On Friday 25 January 2013 19:10:53 Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
3 > > It's not like libcap is a big dependency
4 >
5 > true, but not everyone needs this, nor can everyone leverage it (caps). it's
6 > a linux-centric implementation and is dependent upon filesystem support being
7 > available & enabled.
8 >
9 > that doesn't entirely justify making it a USE flag (since the code already has
10 > runtime fallback logic for when the fs doesn't support things), but since the
11 > USE is low overhead and leverages logic that already has to be there, i have
12 > no problem keeping it. plus it defaults to on.
13
14 hum, ok.
15
16 > > and it's not like this is an
17 > > attempt to make the system more secure by according just the privileges
18 > > needed for apps to work as intended, right ?
19 >
20 > mmm that's exactly what this is
21 >
22 > > If the USE flag must stay, how is it different that current caps USE
23 > > flag ? It applies and not just enables support but is that relevant to
24 > > the purpose at hand ?
25
26 [...]
27
28 In summary, USE=caps if for stripping down from all to the bare minimum
29 caps while USE=filecaps should allow us to provide bare minimum required
30 capabilities from the start.
31
32 If so, maybe this could be the same USE flag ? I would understand if we
33 wanted to keep it separated to avoid potential confusion about the
34 actual impact on packages though.
38 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
39 Gentoo