From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gitolite with WebHooks: testers wanted
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 14:35:29
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:27 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > Amongst Git migration preparations, one of the previously mentioned
6 > items was that GitHub's webhooks were very useful for many tasks.
7 >
8 > The QA team is already using them on the gentoo-portage-rsync-mirror
9 > repo, to trigger regular Travis-CI runs.
10 >
11 > In line with our policies of not depending on closed source and concerns
12 > about the persistence of GitHub, I've got an initial cut of WebHook
13 > support for Gitolite. These will probably be the primary means of
14 > interaction with external services, as we'd prefer not to give gitolite
15 > any SSH private keys to reach out to the world.
16 >
17 > It's based on the notify-webhook project [1], I also have the blessing
18 > of that author to improve his code and push generic changes to it.
19 >
20 > I'm looking for testers:
21 > Do you have a repo on gitolite AND would like pushes to trigger a
22 > webhook?
23 >
24 > If so, please file a bug for the public details. Additionally, if your
25 > hook has a username/password/secret token, please send me a GPG email
26 > with those details.
27 >
28 > Details needed:
29 > - repo path
30 > - webhook URL
31 > - webhook contenttype (json or url-encoded [default])
32 > - webhook auth details if any (user, pass, realm, secret token)
33 >
34 > I do have plans to make it self-service later, but that will be a while
35 > coming.
36 >
37 > [1] https://github.com/metajack/notify-webhook
40 Just some quick notes, about changes that may be needed in current github
41 webhooks to work with our infra:
42
43 - some webhooks may validate for github's IP range [1], and fail to be
44 triggered by gentoo infra servers.
45 - some webhooks may parse repository URLs assuming that the webhooks are
46 triggered by github, e.g. to add some user/password/token.
47
48 [1]
49 https://help.github.com/articles/what-ip-addresses-does-github-use-that-i-should-whitelist/
50