From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LINGUAS handling
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 06:56:52
1 В Срд, 09/06/2010 в 21:21 +0200, Harald van Dijk пишет:
2 > On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:38:03AM +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
3 > > 1. Do we want all packages to support LINGUAS if possible? It is
4 > > possible to leave gettext based package without LINGUAS and everything
5 > > will just work, but I think that it's good idea to make supported
6 > > languages visible to user through linguas_<lang> flags.
7 >
8 > I agree, but I'd like to point out this would be a visible change in
9 > default behaviour: the default would change from "install everything" to
10 > "install nothing". For gettext-based packages, "install everything" is a
11 > sane default, in my opinion.
12
13 Yup, but 1) this change will be visible during emerge -pv since new
14 linguas value are visible there, 2) we already have gettext packages
15 with linguas supported.
16
17 > > 2. How should we handle case of unset LINGUAS in ebuild? Should we mimic
18 > > gettext and install all supported languages, using code like
19 > >
20 > > LINGUAS=${LINGUAS-%UNSET%}
21 > > if test "%UNSET%" == "$LINGUAS"; then
22 > > # install all supported languages
23 > > fi
24 >
25 > Firstly, don't use == with test.
26
27 Thank you for suggestions! Actually it was just an illustration loosely
28 taken from bug 148702.
29
30 > Unfortunately, consistency either way is bad. Making unset LINGUAS
31 > install nothing changes gettext's design, when the whole idea behind
32 > LINGUAS was to mimic gettext's design. Making unset LINGUAS install
33 > everything causes massive disk space requirements for the default
34 > settings for some packages such as openoffice. In my opinion, either of
35 > those would be worse than having LINGUAS behave inconsistently.
36
37 Ok.
38
39 > > 3. What is the purpose of strip-linguas function
40 >
41 > It's used for some packages that fail to build with certain LINGUAS
42 > values. If I recall correctly, binutils had a bug where putting en_GB in
43 > your LINGUAS made the build fail, for example. binutils doesn't support
44 > en_GB anyway, so it gets filtered out,
45
46 I see.
47
48 But what is preferred way for gettext packages? Define supported
49 languages in IUSE or use strip-linguas if required?
52 Peter.