From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A script to pick next free UID/GID for your acct-* packages
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 18:12:01
1 On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:51 PM Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 > > There's a script by jkroon in data/api.git
5 > > (https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/api.git/) that prints the next available
6 > > UID/GID pair for new acct-* packages.
7 >
8 > This is super nice! Thanks a lot jkroon!
11 > > It is not forbidden to mix and mash UID/GID between different packages,
12 > > but I'd still suggest to find a new "pair" even if you push just an UID
13 > > or GID. Since we don't seem to be in danger of running out any time soon.
14 >
15 > Mh - so the obvious first feature request for the script is to also output
16 > Free UID+GID pairs. Counting them manually in your screenshot I get 36.
17 >
18 > That's not a whole lot; just 7% of 500.
19
20 The output was abbreviated. Here is the full output for entries where
21 both ids are FREE.
22
23 % bin/used_free_uidgids.sh | grep "FREE FREE"
24 23..24 FREE FREE
25 29..30 FREE FREE
26 34 FREE FREE
27 37..39 FREE FREE