From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item review: SquashDelta syncing support
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 08:52:58
1 Michał Górny posted on Sun, 17 May 2015 05:47:15 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Dnia 2015-05-16, o godz. 20:38:36 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
4 > napisał(a):
5 >
6 >> On 05/16/2015 06:01 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >> >>
8 >> >> We have gentoo-announce@g.o and gentoo-user@g.o too!
9 >> >
10 >> > That's gentoo-dev-announce. 'dev' is the key part. And gentoo-user@
11 >> > is doubtedly used by sysadmins.
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> This one:
15 >>
16 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-announce/
17 >
18 > First time I hear about it. Looks to be used primarily for GLSAs.
19 > I wonder if anyone actually uses it.
20
21 Answering the "does anyone actually use it" bit...
22
23 I'm subscribed (via gmane) and scan new message subjects, at least,
24 reading messages when they (might) pertain.
25
26 Tho the GLSAs are of questionable usefulness here, since I'm on ~arch and
27 update regularly enough that announced affected versions are usually
28 ancient history on my boxen. I think I've actually seen one or two that
29 applied to me... in over a decade on gentoo.
30
31 But I still subscribe and at least scan titles, as for me it's part of
32 being a good admin, just in case, both for the GLSAs, and in case there's
33 anything else of importance posted.
34
35 Of course if the announce list was actually used for announcements other
36 than GLSAs, it'd definitely enhance its general usefulness. So please do
37 start announcing stuff there -- IMO, anything fit for the front page is
38 fit for the general announce list as well! =:^)
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman