From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:00:29
1 Andrew Savchenko posted on Sat, 08 Nov 2014 13:56:21 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > Wanna ~20-30 minutes with sqlite metadata cache enabled?
4 > Try on Intel Atom N270 with 2800 packages installed. Dependency
5 > resolution is utterly slow.
6
7 Hmm. My netbook's an Atom N270 also. But I use a build-image chroot on
8 my main 6-core AMD bulldozer for building and just rsync over, and I only
9 have ~800 packages installed, so I fortunately don't have the N270 speed
10 issues to deal with for package resolution and build.
11
12 But I've more or less decided to buy a new netbook level x86_64 one of
13 these days and shelve the 32-bit-only N270, so I can use pretty much the
14 same packages on both the workstation and the (new) netbook. Maybe then
15 I'll actually keep the netbook current instead of letting it go a year or
16 more between updates. It's just a matter of actually doing it. Maybe
17 this Black-Friday or Cyber-Monday...
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman