From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Getting EAPI 5 *use.stable.mask to work in gx86?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:28:37
1 Hello,
2
3 I think we're mostly aware what the use and benefits
4 of the *use.stable.mask files are.
5
6 They would be at least really useful in Python ebuilds, where we
7 have to either:
8
9 a) forcedly stabilize a particular Python implementation (like pypy),
10
11 b) don't support it all,
12
13 c) or just keep two package revisions around, one with 'stable' Python
14 implementations for stabilization and the other with all
15 implementations for testing users.
18 Therefore, having *use.stable.mask would be at least helpful to us. But
19 as far as I can see, the spec says we can use it only in profile dirs
20 with EAPI 5...
21
22 So far, I doubt anyone would want us to migrate our major profiles
23 to a newer EAPI, like EAPI 4, not to mention fresh 5. And of course,
24 that wouldn't follow our migration path practices.
27 Therefore, I see the following solutions:
28
29 1) duplicate most of the major profiles. Make an EAPI 5-enabled wrapper
30 profiles which will provide the *use.stable.mask files. Require users
31 to migrate to those profiles after getting an EAPI 5 capable package
32 manager (how?). Possibly mask the relevant flags completely in other
33 profiles.
36 2) change the rules. Make *use.stable.mask files not require EAPI 5
37 profile dirs but apply only to EAPI 5 packages. The outcome is similar
38 -- package managers without the feature ignore the ebuilds. If they
39 have EAPI 5, they should be able to handle stable unmasking as well.
40
41 Of course, it all falls apart because of package manager strictness.
42 We may want to change that retroactively and quickly release updated
43 package managers before the EAPI 5 support is spread wider (assuming
44 some transitional period before we will start using the files), or defer
45 it into EAPI 6.
48 Either way, I believe that *use.stable.mask would be very helpful if we
49 were able to use it. What are your thoughts?
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny