From: Roman Gaufman <hackeron@×××××.com>
To: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
Cc: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:33:16
1 How about getting only the installed ebuilds + *all* the ebuilds that
2 may have potential patent violation by default? :P
3
4 On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:29:00 -0400, Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > Luke-Jr (luke-jr@×××××××.org) scribbled:
8 > > On Friday 22 October 2004 10:13 pm, Mike wrote:
9 > > > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:00:55 +0000, Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
10 > > > > On Friday 22 October 2004 9:56 pm, Andrew Fant wrote:
11 > > > > > I'm not sure that I would call that a cool benefit. It seems to come
12 > > > > > close to an egregious violation of privacy. I know that there is no
13 > > > > > promise of confidentiality in the use of the portage rsync servers, but
14 > > > > > to actively and publicly start collecting data about who is using what
15 > > > > > seems to only invite more paranoia.
16 > > > >
17 > > > > Except that it won't be able to reliably collect the "who" part, only the
18 > > > > "what". Sure, you could log IPs, but many users IPs change more
19 > > > > frequently than they sync.
20 > > >
21 > > > Even the what won't be reliable, as it won't show all of us who use
22 > > > emerge-webrsync due to firewall restrictions.
23 > > It would be a decent sample, though. Which is a positive thing, IMO...
24 > > I recall when I was a developer I was wondering whether a pkg was ready for
25 > > stable or if simply nobody had tried it... In that case, it was a
26 > > not-so-common server, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the people using it
27 > > stuck w/ stable version...
28 >
29 > I'm also wary of the idea of logging what people have installed on their
30 > machines... It's too prone to abuse. There are other solutions to your
31 > dilemma above; say, asking on gentoo-user ;)
32 >
33 > I don't think the potential for abuse is worth the knowledge gain.
34 >
35 > Cooper.
39 > --
40 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list