From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK und GTK2 Use Flag
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:43:01
1 On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 10:49:00PM +0200, Spider wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 12:15 +0200, Fabian Zeindl wrote:
3 > > Hello
4 > >
5 > > There was a discussion on the gentoo-user-de list about this two
6 > > Useflags: gtk and gtk2. Because not everybody is sure what the mean, so
7 > > if you have -gtk +gtk2 some think that gtk2 should be installed and soon.
8 > >
9 > > Wouldn't it be better if "gtk" meaned that the newest available gtk
10 > > version ist installed (gtk1 or gtk2) and a flag like oldgtk take the
11 > > older version gtk1.
12 > >
13 > > Another question which occured: Is there a performancedrawback if a
14 > > program is compile with gtk1 AND gtk2 build in? Does this happen when
15 > > someone installs with +gtk +gtk2?
18 > Common misconception, it tends to crop up once every 6 months or so
19 > since I ever was foolish enough not to stomp a hard policy and beat the
20 > people who want gtk+-1.2 support with a sledgehammer.
21 while I'm certainly not advocating that the user is always
22 right... user requirements/desires for the tree should be reflected,
23 not have mandates handed down. (realize you didn't quite mean it that
24 way, but it plays into my point so I took a shot at it :)
25
26 > If someone can suggest a better formulation for this, please go ahead.
27 Start the process of adjusting ebuilds so that the use flags reflect
28 what everybody thinks they should.
29
30 I've seen countless users (despite use.desc) flip on *just* gtk2,
31 because they want *just* gtk v2 support linked in if available.
32
33 > Lets face it, gtk+-1.2 is _deprecated_ and all packages that use it
34 > should either be taken out and shot in the head, ( for mercy's sake,
35 > that and utf8 ) or updated to track the new and maintained library
36 > API.
37 > We all know this isn't feasible, most projects are just recently wiping
38 > stale code for interfaces ( Hi mozilla! ) and as such, the mistake is
39 > left to stay.
40 >
41 > -Changing- existing logic is -not- going to solve this solution
42 > cleanly. We suggested to remove the gtk2 flag, (make it default) and
43 > implement :
44 > USE="shoot-me-in-the-head-with-deprecated-libraries-please" instead,
45 > however people considered it as offending our users for some reason.
46 How is this any different (aside from naming) gtk1 vs gtk2?
47
48 Only actual difference I see is sticking 'deprecated' or something equivalent
49 into the use flag name, and mandating the default gtk+- version that
50 is used, rather then just exposing the options via use flags, and
51 letting users decide for themselves.
52
53 Aside from that, as I stated in another email, such an approach is
54 going to bite you in the ass on the next major gtk release,
55 wash rinse repeat (lesson learned being?)
56 ~brian