From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: scarabeus@g.o, chromium@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stop altering of current release ebuilds and propagate the changes slowly
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:57:26
1 On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 08:58:14AM +0100, Tom???? Chv??tal wrote:
3 >> Hi guys,
4 >>
5 >> In last 3 days i recompiled chromium 3x
6 >>
7 >> 1x rebuild for cups useflag
8 >> 1x update
9 >> 1x rebuild for cups useflag
10 >
11 > <snip>
12 >
13 > Chromium moves fast and you're obviously running unstable keywording.
14 > Meaning you're *intentionally* getting every beta channel release.
17 Actually, even in the mozilla team, we try to reduce the no. of
18 revbumps and USE-flag changes ebuilds get by batching them up. Even
19 though Firefox (and earlier xulrunner) doesn't have the crazy release
20 cycle of Chromium (yet), it simply helps to reduce irritation for
21 users. We try the same with webkit-gtk/evolution/e-d-s under GNOME
22 (although, they don't require many updates anyway).
23
24 Small things like these that cost little help in keeping users happy.
25 It's a very easy development process change. I remember a blog post by
26 the chromium team about this too, so they are aware of user
27 complaints. scarabeus isn't the only one. :)
28
29 Also, about attack vectors on beta builds of chromium, they're too
30 fast-moving a target with a very low target population. Excessively
31 unlikely that someone will release malware to attack a vulnerability
32 in version 17.x.y.z. We don't need to go ape-shit over security of
33 alpha/beta builds. Serious bugs, of course, should be fixed.
34
35 OTOH, if you're seriously concerned about personalized attacks, you
36 should be running adblock and noscript anyway.
39 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
40
41 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team