From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:32:32
1 Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 12:21 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 19:06, Alex Legler <a3li@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> What is the point of stabilizing it if users shouldn't use it as main
10 >>>> interpreter? Just leave it in ~arch until it can be safely used.
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>> Making it easily available so that people can port stuff, so that the
14 >>> entire world may be able to use it as their main interpreter sooner?
15 >>>
16 >>> Seriously, it's out there, there's no reason to keep it from stable.
17 >>> Just prevent people from making python invoke 3.x and everything will
18 >>> be fine.
19 >>>
20 >> Isn't ~arch supposed to be for testing? Isn't that the point of having
21 >> ~arch?
24 > ~arch is for testing ebuilds, not the upstream package
28 So it would be OK to mark something "stable" even tho portage itself
29 doesn't work with it? Sorry, this makes no sense to me. I run stable
30 for the most part and having a package that portage depends on that is
31 not stable just sounds a little like putting the cart before the horse.
32
33 See some of the other replies as to why this is a not so good idea.
34
35 Dale
36