From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: UID/GID assignment for dovecot (76)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 06:36:45
1 On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 02:58:17PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 8/7/19 5:24 AM, Eray Aslan wrote:
3 > > I would like to reserve UID/GID 76 for dovecot (net-mail/dovecot)
4 > >
5 > > This id differs from what we have provided historically (97) but gid/97
6 > > is used by acct-group/input. So use 76 instead.
7 > >
8 > > This id is the same in Arch (76) but differs from Redhat (97).
9 >
10 > Can we please go back to posting the patches for these new packages?
11 > Personally, I couldn't care less what integer people pick out of a hat.
12 > I review these to prevent situations like this:
13
14 For the record, it wasnt me who wrote those acct-user ebuilds.
15
16 > # acct-user/postmaster
17 > DESCRIPTION="Postmaster user"
18 > ACCT_USER_ID=14
19 > ACCT_USER_HOME=/var/spool/mail
20 > ACCT_USER_HOME_OWNER=root:mail
21 > ACCT_USER_HOME_PERMS=03775
22 > ACCT_USER_GROUPS=( mail )
23 >
24 > # acct-user/mail
25 > DESCRIPTION="Mail program user"
26 > ACCT_USER_ID=8
27 > ACCT_USER_HOME=/var/spool/mail
28 > ACCT_USER_HOME_OWNER=root:mail
29 > ACCT_USER_HOME_PERMS=03775
30 > ACCT_USER_GROUPS=( mail )
31 >
32 > These two now need to be kept in-sync forever, because otherwise one is
33 > going to clobber the permissions on the other's home directory. Not
34 > having to worry about that was an explicit goal of GLEP81.
35 >
36 > Given that both of those users are pulled in only by net-mail/mailbase
37 > at the moment, you probably want to set those permissions in the ebuild
38
39 I dont want to set permissions in the ebuild if possible. Thats not a
40 proper solution.
41
42 Why do we need a postmaster account at all? Does anyone have a clue?
43
44 > and leave those two users' home directories at the default. The
45 > net-mail/mailbase package certainly doesn't need their home directories
46 > set to anything in particular. (It doesn't need the user at all, but
47 > that's probably a larger issue with mailbase.)
48
49 Getting rid of mailbase is certainly another option.
52 Eray