From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Enable FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" by default?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:33:29
1 On 05/29/2012 07:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 May 2012 02:05:08 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 05/29/2012 01:43 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
6 >>> I'm using usersync since a long time, how about add it too?
7 >>
8 >> Yeah, I think that would be a good default too. I guess the portage
9 >> ebuild can do a recursive adjustment of $PORTDIR permissions in
10 >> pkg_postinst, in order to solve bug #277970 [1].
11 >
12 > Wouldn't that break users who sync using a regular user?
13
14 No, because the "usersync" feature causes the rsync process to inherit
15 the UID and GID of the PORTDIR directory (obtained using the stat function).
16
17 > And then break
18 > again, and again every time portage is merged?
19
20 No, I would not want to trigger an relatively expensive operation like
21 this more that once. So, it would only be triggered in pkg_postinst if
22 the replaced version of portage did not have usersync enabled by default.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac