From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Purpose of USE=doc
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:11:46
1 On 25/04/06, Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello here,
3 >
4 > I'd like to see some clarification of intended doc use flag usage, so
5 > that we wouldn't force users to download/install 40+ megs of docs for a
6 > ~3 meg package, with the only reason being that USE=doc is for developer
7 > documentation only. [1]
8
9 The handbook states that "doc" is for package documentation. I've
10 never heard of it being restricted to developer docs only, and if
11 that's true, there are many packages which break that policy.
12
13 As I always understood it, "doc" is there for all optional
14 documentation such as manuals, APIs etc. Non-optional documentation
15 would be things like online docs accessible from within the program
16 (eg. "help" menu items for gui apps), which if missing generate
17 run-time errors.
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list