From: Harley Peters <harley@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Problems with the current bzr eclass.
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:07:47
1 On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:16:34 +0200
2 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Harley Peters <harley@×××××××××××××.net>:
7 > > Ok that's what I am doing. Was just wondering if there was something
8 > > simple I over looked.
9 >
10 > To give you an idea what we gain here, I compiled some numbers. GNU
11 > Emacs live ebuild (app-editors/emacs-cvs) will be the biggest consumer
12 > once they switch from CVS.
13 >
14 > First we will compare timings
15 >
16 > $ time bzr checkout --lightweight
17 > real 7m37.044s
18 > user 1m2.789s
19 > sys 0m2.807s
20 >
21 > $ time bzr checkout
22 >
23 > real 40m47.371s
24 > user 3m57.881s
25 > sys 0m8.586s
26 >
27 > So the normal initial checkout will be more than five times slower
28 > than the lightweight one. If this were 1s to 6s it would be
29 > neglectable, but we are talking about half an hour difference just
30 > for an emerge.
31 >
32 > Next ist the update function.
33 >
34 > $ time bzr update
35 >
36 > real 0m11.457s
37 > user 0m0.544s
38 > sys 0m0.092s
39 >
40 > $ time bzr update
41 >
42 > real 0m2.710s
43 > user 0m0.237s
44 > sys 0m0.053s
45 >
46 > Clearly the normal checkout wins by factor five, but we are in the
47 > second range, while the space gain is enormous:
48 >
49 > $ du -sch Emacs-lw/ Emacs
50 > 106M Emacs-lw/
51 > 427M Emacs
52 > 533M total
53 >
54 > V-Li
57 I understand why you did it. I just need a way to prevent it from
58 deleting a full checkout.
59 Because the numbers don't look so good for Gnash.
60 bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnash/trunk
61 Having said that it's only a two line change to the bzr.eclass code to
62 get it to work the way I want.
63 And I can live with that. :)