From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Adding slot and subslot deps to others' packages
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 08:38:05
1 Hi,
2
3 Few months ago I have written a small FAQ on how to use slots
4 and subslots for library dependencies properly [1]. However, today
5 I see that most of the developers didn't care to properly update their
6 packages and when I introduced binary compatibility slot in libgcrypt,
7 I had my hands full of work fixing the mess for a single package.
8
9 Honestly, it's PITA to update and commit a few dozen ebuilds just to
10 modify a single dependency. Plus sometimes portage's dynamic-deps
11 no longer work so I'd have to revbump all the packages as well to
12 be 100% correct. And the sole fact that I'm fixing just one dep when
13 there's a dozen libraries more that may need fixing in the future...
14
15 So, I'm asking: would you mind if I started taking random packages
16 and updating the library dependencies (whenever they are clear) to use
17 slot :0 (in EAPI 1..4) and :0= (in EAPI 5) as appropriate?
18
19 [1]:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/88541
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny