From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default logger
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:25:17
1 On Tuesday 27 September 2005 10:39, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:31:04AM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
3 > > our documentation [1] lists syslog-ng as the "default" system logger
4 > > while current profiles uses metalog (except embedded, default-macos/ppc,
5 > > default-darwin and sparc32). What should be changed, Handbook or
6 > > profiles?
7 >
8 > I think we should recommend syslog-ng over metalog, both in
9 > documentation and in profiles, due to the fact that most software,
10 > howtos and tutorials expect the system log to be located in
11 > /var/log/messages
12
13 Isn't that more a matter of configuration than of logger. While I'm a
14 syslog_ng user I'm fairly confident that metalog can write /var/log/messages
15 too.
16
17 Paul
20 Paul de Vrieze