From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: arfrever@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:57:55
1 On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Have you considered time overhead of moving files in unnatural order?
3
4 Rather than re-discuss this point it would probably be better for
5 everybody to just read through the entire thread again, particularly
6 Cirian's post and its follow-ups. My understanding is that the patch
7 has already been reverted.
8
9 Now, if somebody has a suggestion for how to sort the files in such a
10 way as to improve the performance (assuming that it doesn't already
11 happen in inode order) that would certainly take things forward.
12
13 Sorting lists in RAM is cheap, disk seeks are expensive.
14
15 Of course, if you're using tmpfs it is either all in RAM or in swap in
16 the first place, and I'm not sure if swap brings in additional
17 considerations here.
18
19 Rich