From: Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/gzip madness
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:55:40
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Monday 23 August 2004 17:36, Lina Pezzella wrote:
3 >
4 >>I would entirely agree on the second point there. System for macos has
5 >>very few things installed (gzip not among them) because a lot is
6 >>provided by MacOS. At this point in the game, where we are porting
7 >>Gentoo to non-Linux userlands, it is probably a bad idea to "assume"
8 >>much of anything.
11 > I think gzip, tar, unzip and bzip2 should be runtime dependencies of portage
12 > itself. Portage needs them to unpack almost all packages. It would be hell if
13 > we would need to add any of them as a dependency just because of the fact
14 > that the package is offered in a tarball of some sort (most packages are).
15 >
16 > Paul
19 Was there a final verdict on this?
20
21 The two possible solutions mentioned in this thread:
22
23 1) add gzip (and others) as a portage run-time dep
24 2) change all DEPEND's containing app-arch/gzip to virtual/gzip
25
26 Regards
27 --
28 Tact, n.: The unsaid part of what you're thinking.
29
30 /* Aaron Walker
31 * http://butsugenjitemple.org/~ka0ttic/
32 */