From: drobbins@g.o
To: achim@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] phew!
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:22:15
1 On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 07:57:48AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > Hmm, there is no devfs bootdisk here :-) I think we should not switch to
4 > devfs in rc4. I'm not planning to recheck all packages, and I think it is a
5 > good idea to make the required changes to a few packages that do not support
6 > devfs during a complete recheck which I whant to do before final 1.0 or rc5.
7
8 OK, that's fine.
9
10 > There is one problem with supvervise I detected yesterday. I ran a
11 > package-build of all current-packages.new over night and forgott to append a
12 > ebuild clear after package build, so my disk ran out of space. This causes
13 > supervise/multlog to output a warning like "can not append to
14 > /var/log/syslog.d/current" in an endless loop. If this happens with syslog
15 > the system keeps quiet. I want to test md/lvm together with reiserfs/nfs.
16 > And I want to test the new kernel on the primekom machine that did freeze
17 > during kernel-boot.
18
19 I think that the solution to this is for me to make Portage clean up after
20 itself.
21
22 > How about a working recursive pkgmerge?
23
24 Yes, I forgot about this. It's 93% done :) I had to stop work on it because
25 the next day, I started building the new server and my motherboard died.
26
27 > Another question, what kernel do you use at the moment test12, prerelease or
28 > final ac1/2/3.?
29
30 I'm using test12.
31
32 > I made a new package for 2.4.0ac3 called 2.4.0.3. This includes all neccesary
33 > fixes for reiserfs as announced in the reiserfs-mailinglist. It includes a
34 > modified reiserfs/nfs patch. I run it here since a few hours without
35 > problems, but did not test more extensive yet. I had a few strange problems
36 > with prerelease and 2.4.0ac1/2 kernels which did not occur with ac3.
37
38 OK; I have a feeling that we will see rapid kernel development from 2.4.0 to about
39 2.4.3 as people find new bugs since the kernel is now being used by a wider audience.
40
41 Best Regards,
44 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
45 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org