From: "Robert R. Russell" <nahoy_kbiki@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 policy for portage tree
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 06:36:12
1 On Monday 08 December 2008 06:00:10 pm Jean-Marc Hengen wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > This mail is about EAPI usage in the portage tree. Let me describe it,
4 > with what happened today: I'm running a mostly stable system (91 of 1255
5 > installed packages are unstable), but I test here and there some
6 > packages. On of the packages, which I installed and is currently masked
7 > unstable, is dev-util/cmake-2.6.2. I use it on a daily basis and happy
8 > with it so far. Today, while updating, portage wanted to downgrade cmake
9 > to the stable release, due to all cmake 2.6.x version masked by EAPI 2.
10 > The cmake-2.6.2 ebuild was updated to use EAPI 2 (along with fixing a
11 > bug). My rule of thumb is to only use unstable on none system packages
12 >
13 <snip>
14 >
15 > With kind regards,
16 > Jean-Marc Hengen, a happy gentoo user
17
18 The problem is not that an EAPI 2 supporting portage is unstable or that he is
19 using a ~arch version of one particular package, but the during a bugfix the
20 maintainer moved the ebuild to EAPI 2 without a version bump forcing
21 Jean-Marc to downgrade to the stable version. The question on policy is, can
22 a maintainer upgrade an ebuild to the latest EAPI while doing some other
23 bugfixing without a version bump?
24
25 My personal opinion on this matter is pick one of the following:
26 1) perform the bugfix without a version bump and remain at the current EAPI
27 version
28 2) perform the bugfix with a version bump and remain at the current EAPI
29 version
30 3) perform the bugfix with a version bump and upgrade to the latest EAPI
31 Options 1 and 2 are how most updates are done, the user can mask the latest
32 version or upgrade. Option 3 allows the user to continue using the previous
33 version while they decide to update to a portage version that supports the
34 new EAPI.
35
36 I would prefer that option 3 be made policy because I run several ~arch
37 packages that either don't have a stable version (kradio) or have a feature
38 that I need (gentoo-sources), and will not be pushed to stable immediately
39 for various reasons from lack of maintainer time to everybody says it
40 conflicts with major pieces of the system (Firefox 3, 64 bit netscape-flash,
41 and xorg).