From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [2 GLEPs] metadata improvements
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:22:47
1 Hi everyone
2
3 Since people are talking about metadata.xml again I'd like to present two
4 more GLEPs which will ease the process of auto-assigning bugs on one side
5 and make it a bit safer on the other side. Both of them are still in draft
6 state and if someone would like to contribute I'd be really happy.
7
8 One GLEP introduces new elements 'team', 'dev' and 'proxy':
9
10 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-new_metadata_elements.html
11
12 The idea is to reduce some of the redundency we have in the tree and to
13 explicitly write who the maintainer is. It logically depends on my former
14 GLEP about Gentoo's herd/team metastructure, but doesn't depend on it in a
15 technical sense.
16 Furthermore it makes it possible to define maintainer-proxy relationships.
17
18 It would make the auto-assignment process based on metadata.xml safer since
19 it makes it possible to validate the maintainer.
20 And this is where the second GLEP comes in:
21
22 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dev-zero/glep/glep-xsd.html
23
24 In this GLEP I propose to switch from DTD to XSD for metadata.xml (and
25 herd.xml) to be able to validate content.
26 Even though some people like to argue that content should not be validated,
27 it makes sense to do it since the metadata.xml are not "prosa" but can be
28 interpreted as kind of database entries. Another reason is that
29 parent-child constraints can't be validated using DTD (especially GLEP 46
30 can't be properly implemented using DTD). But that's all written in the
31 GLEP...
32
33 What do you think of them?
34