From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:47:42
1 On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:36:46 -0400 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Joel Konkle-Parker wrote: [Fri Jul 16 2004, 06:30:53PM EDT]
4 | > As an interested desktop user, I'm curious about the devs' opinions
5 | > on this recent thread in gentoo-user:
6 | >
7 | > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/89620
8 |
9 | I think it's safe to say that ciaranm is engaging in hyperbole in his
10 | assertion that "Everyone agrees gentoo-sources is full of garbage".
11
12 Hm? Not really. That was a direct quote from one of the kernel team.
13
14 (Note: if gentoo-sources now includes 2.6.x kernels, that was referring
15 to the 2.4.x set)
16
17 The 2.6.x patchset is a *lot* cleaner. I'm not the only dev who still
18 has strong objections to at least one of the patches that's included in
19 there, however.
20
21 For reference: gentoo-sources (2.4) rarely worked on either of my x86
22 boxes. gentoo-dev-sources (2.6) works on both as of 2.6.7. Before then I
23 had to manually revert a patch to avoid a solid lock before init came
24 up.
27 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
28 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
29 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm