From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category-size range script
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 07:14:35
1 On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 19:16, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Do you really have to create another category?
3
4 I wrote a little script to help in this decision. It suggests a range
5 for category sizes, based on the average size plus or minus a multiple
6 of the standard deviation (SD). The default multiple is 1/2 the SD.
7
8 The conclusions are: If you have a category larger than the suggested
9 max, split it. If it's smaller than the suggested min, don't create it.
10
11 Perhaps the SD multiple is worth arguing over, but 1/2 seemed
12 reasonable, based on the results.
13
14 Another thing to consider is that one of the goals of categories is to
15 make the tree browseable. Therefore we should keep the number of things
16 to be browsed roughly equal at every level. So the number of categories
17 should be roughly equal to the average number of packages per category.
18
19 Anyway, there's a couple of things to think about.
20 --
21 Donnie Berkholz
22 Gentoo Linux

category-size application/x-shellscript