From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding a code of conduct
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:35:52
1 Ned Ludd wrote: [Mon Apr 03 2006, 09:40:54PM EDT]
2 > Umm ok. I've decided that root is root no matter how you look at it
3 > and it's not worth getting into a vertical pissing contest over.
4
5 Having root doesn't equal having authority. One of the issues right
6 now is whether Infra has assumed authority on the basis of power. If
7 they didn't have root, wouldn't their decision to grant themselves
8 authority look rather silly?
9
10 A contrast between Infra and the Council is that the former is a team
11 that has chosen itself (like any other team in Gentoo), the latter is
12 elected. The Council has been granted authority by the Foundation
13 members. Infra has power by virtue of being entrusted with the keys
14 to the Gentoo infrastructure, paradoxically it has no authority beyond
15 the decisions that fall in its domain, those necessary to the daily
16 running of the Gentoo infrastructure.
17
18 Suspending a Ciaran's access falls on the line. IMHO it was an
19 overstep, an abuse of power, but an understandable mistake.
20 I disagree with Infra's refusal to restore Ciaran's access when it was
21 first requested by Ferris. I know Devrel and Infra have now reached
22 an agreement, but frankly I think the situation still stinks, because
23 it's skirting the agreed-upon Devrel process by suspending Ciaran
24 before the conclusion of the trial.
25
26 Your statement essentially says that power and authority are the same
27 thing, and there's no point quibbling over it. I don't buy it.
28
29 Aron
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list