From: "Ciaravino
To: 'Riyad Kalla' <rsk@×××××××××.edu>, 'Denis Shcherbakov' <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] SMP kernel halts system - hyperthreading??
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:39:20
1 i've been tracking similar issues with the new 1.4 boot CDs
2
3 see gentoo bugzilla bug 11095 (and vote for it!!!)
4
5 short version:
6 i've gotten it to work properly with the vanilla-sources
7 and xfs-sources - but something in the gentoo-sources
8 causes my machine to lock hard (regardless of hyperthreading)
9
10 My boxes are Dell PE2650 with dual 2.4G xeon 2Gig Ram & aacraid (xfs on top)
11 (hyperthreading can be turned on/off in the bios)
12
13 Hope this helps,
14
15 odiT
16
17 -----Original Message-----
18 From: Riyad Kalla [mailto:rsk@×××××××××.edu]
19 Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 10:50 PM
20 To: 'Denis Shcherbakov'; gentoo-dev@g.o
21 Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] SMP kernel halts system - hyperthreading??
24 Denis,
25 That sounds like the server at work I'm using, nice machine..
26
27 Anywya, there was a thread on something like this in the forums, and it
28 basically turned out to be the SMP Gentoo kernel, the guy went to
29 vanilla kernel and everything worked just dandy. Can you verify this?
30 Maybe the kernel team needs to focus on something?
31
32 Can you run 4 threads of Seti@Home to see if it kills the machine? That
33 should be a good test as it will saturate your CPUs
34
35 Best,
36 -Riyad
37
38 -----Original Message-----
39 From: Denis Shcherbakov [mailto:deniss@×××××××××.EDU]
40 Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 8:47 PM
41 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
42 Subject: [gentoo-dev] SMP kernel halts system - hyperthreading??
46 Dear gentoo-dev,
47
48 If some of you recall, I wrote to the list about a system halt resulting
49 from running C++ codes and it possibly having to do with nVidia graphics
50 or XFree 4.2.1.
51
52 Well, the problem persists in text mode also. It happens when 3 or more
53 CPU-intensive processes run simultaneously on the machine. I have an
54 SMP
55 kernel (2.4.19-gentoo-r7) with 2 Intel Xeon 2.2-GHz processors equipped
56 with hyperthreading technology.
57
58 I have 4 processors initialized at boot time, and 4 processors show up
59 in
60 "top". This is probably because of hyperthreading, as otherwise there
61 should be only two.
62
63 How do I turn off hyperthreading? Do you think hyperthreading is what's
64 breaking my system and it could be more stable without hyperthreading?
65 Can a certain process be confined only to a certain processor?
66
67 Thanks for any help!
68 Denis
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list