From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: vapier@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new profiles.desc header documenting profile/keyword policy
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:52:17
1 On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 01:58:04 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 20 January 2014 12:26:13 William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 02:23:24AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > > > this has all been fairly ad-hoc in the past, so formalize it in
7 > > > the one place that impacts everyone -- profiles.desc.
8 > >
9 > > If it is policy, shouldn't it go in the dev manual rather than in
10 > > this file?
11 >
12 > maybe. devmanual doesn't talk about this file at all atm.
13 >
14 > or maybe i still have it in my head that devmanual.g.o is the ad-hoc
15 > documentation and not a policy manual -- policy lives in the Gentoo
16 > Developer Handbook.
17
18 Parts of the policies at the end of the Gentoo Developer Handbook have
19 migrated to the development manual over the last week.
20
21 Those whom maintain it regard it as policy (qa@g.o, devmanual@g.o) as
22 far as I know, I have in the past also regarded it as such; to some
23 extent documentation should be based on policy, thus as a result I
24 think you can trust the documentation to be policy to a good extent.
25
26 The real policy is where the decisions are made, but as that's spread
27 across the council summaries and the mailing lists; that is what harder
28 to find I guess, with the ebuild policy now merging into the development
29 manual I think we really should see the development manual as policy.
30
31 The policy at the back of the Gentoo Developer Handbook was incomplete,
32 slightly outdated (CVS part, maybe some other unnoticed differences),
33 rarely came up in discussions (people often refer to devmanual
34 instead), ... thus I think its migration to the devmanual is progress.
37 With kind regards,
38
39 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
40 Gentoo Developer
41
42 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
43 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
44 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D