From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:28:59
1 On 29/07/2022 13:06, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@××××××.net wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
4 >> Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Up for grabs because of inactivity.
7 >>>
8 >>> dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
9 >>>
10 >>> Needs some real love to tidy it up.
11 >>>
12 >>> Best,
13 >>> sam
14 >>
15 >> Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
16 >> the Gentoo Qt project?
17 >
18 > It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
19 > and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
20 > make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).
21 >
22 >> They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
23 >> contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
24 >> bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
25 >> in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
26 >
27 > On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
28 > don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
29 >
30 > [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504
31
32 I've added myself as the maintainer of shiboken2 and pyside2(-tools). I
33 also added shiboken6 and pyside6(-tools) (masked for testing).
34 Unfortunately the latter is stuck on python3_10 only at the moment,
35 adding python3_11 to this is a whole new can of worms.
36
37 Help with these packages is most welcome. They are notoriously difficult
38 and fragile.
39
40 Best regards,
41 Andrew