From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] JavaScript packages?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 22:37:52
1 On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 1:20 AM, Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 07/04/2016 10:15 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >> On 07/04/2016 12:57 AM, Nicolas Bock wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I would like to package a code that depends on JavaScript packages. The
7 >>> suggested installation procedure from upstream involves running `npm
8 >>> install ...`. How do we (or do we?) deal with JavaScript packages?
9 >>>
10 >>> Best,
11 >>>
12 >>> Nick
13 >>>
14 >> The better question to ask is "what does this program need in order to
15 >> function?" If it installed through 'npm', that's going to point to Node.
16 >> Whatever format Node uses for its packages, you should read it and find
17 >> out if it requires anything else besides Node. If other Node packages
18 >> are needed, they may be in the tree already.
19 >>
20 > The program runs without JS. However, it can also run a server that
21 > provides a UI through a browser. That's the part that requires the JS.
24 I've seen some packages provide a "pre-built" javascript bundle, which
25 is great because then you don't need a bunch of nodejs modules just to
26 minify some javascript and whatnot.
27
28 Alternatively, you could have a pre-made tarball of nodejs modules
29 that's downloaded via SRC_URI and used only at build time.