From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Another defective hard drive
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 23:32:56
1 Hi All,
2
3 Guess what? Another defective hard drive -- a bad block. This time, it was a
4 new (Jul 2000) IBM 30 gigger. We're now running on an IBM 15 Gb drive and
5 hoping that it will survive the next week :/ No data was lost. We seem to
6 be losing 15Gb every two weeks... hopefully, IBM will replace these drives
7 in time.
8
9 I'm trying to find some reason for the multiple drive failures in such a
10 short period of time. The only thing I can find is that both defective
11 drives were manufactured at IBM's Hungary plant in ~Jul 2000. I'm guessing
12 there's a batch of bad hard drives coming from there, maybe due to a batch
13 of bad parts or low quality control at this particular plant? Anyways, I
14 have a 45Gb drive (matching the one that failed a week or two ago, also made
15 in Hungary at about the same time) and we'll see if *it* lasts.
16
17 Remember: system failures always happen on Sundays
18
19 Best Regards,
22 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
23 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org