From: brettholcomb@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cvs-ebuilds
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:51:26
1 Maybe I'm missing something here but what does this do that the current ebuilds that access CVS don't do? The current ebuilds - using the CVS eclass fetch the most current CVS version, then you do whatever you need to do just like a regular ebuild. If you need the updated CVS you just emerge again.
4 > From: Timo Horstschäfer <timo.horstschaefer@×××××.com>
5 > Date: 2005/06/01 Wed PM 03:13:44 EDT
6 > To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
7 > Subject: [gentoo-dev] cvs-ebuilds
8 >
9 > A few day ago i thought about ebuilds without a version number.
10 > The thing is to fetch all files via cvs and then do the things you do
11 > with a normal ebuild.
12 >
13 > After fetching the files all the content will be packed into a bz2
14 > archive and saved in /usr/portage/distfiles/
15 > i.e. if i emerge again the stored bz2archive will be extracted and
16 > synced with cvs again.
17 > So i can always can get the newest version without waiting for an ebuild.
18 >
19 > Of course those packages are marked ~* anytime and nobody can promise,
20 > the compiling won't fail.
21 >
22 > Another feature could be to save the bz2 archive with the date of
23 > fetching in its name.
24 > Then i could use an old archive if there is i great bug in the newest files.
25 >
26 > I want to read some opinions about this, it's just an idea.
27 >
28 > --
29 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list