From: Sylvain OBEGI <katios@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install report, bugs, questions & suggestions
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:23:48
1 On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 21:36, Maciek Borowka wrote:
2 > Some answers....
3
4 Thanks a lot for answering!
5
6 > > XSANE
7 > > latest xsane is 0.84. latest in gentoo is 0.77, quite old. Is there a
8 > > particular reason for keeping an old version?
9 >
10 > I don't think so. Upgrade the ebuild file and send it to bugs.gentoo.org if
11 > you want it in gentoo
12
13 Attach it to a bug report or something?
14 Will try to read some build doc soon to be able to do something useful.
15 Anyway, renaming the current xsane ebuild file to the current version
16 and ebuild digest-ing it seems to be working. I guess it would be the
17 same with xchat (1.8.8 just released -- untested)
20 > > BASESYSTEM
21 > > basesystem wants me to install isapnptools, but i haven't used a isa
22 > > cards for year! i don't even have an isa slot! i think hotplug would be
23 > > a much better thing to have in core system than isapnptools.. how to
24 > > tell emerge i don't want it with update (without having to do it at each
25 > > emerge rsync) ?
26 >
27 > Take a look at /usr/portage/profiles directory. There is a lot of interesting
28 > stuff there : package.mask for the packages that you don't want, or
29 > default/packages for the list of default packages.
30 > You can create your own profile too, and put there only the packages you want.
31
32 Theses files seem to be overwritten at rsync. I will search the docs
33 instead of making noise here :). Thanks anyway.
36 > > LANGUAGE
37 > > Is there any way to have non-english language in other apps than kde
38 > > itself?
39 >
40 > Yes, use LANG environnement variable :
41 > maciek@dune maciek $ export LANG="fr_FR"
42 > maciek@dune maciek $ ls /rien
43 > ls: /rien: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
44 > maciek@dune maciek $ export LANG="en_EN"
45 > maciek@dune maciek $ ls /rien
46 > ls: /rien: No such file or directory
47
48 Oh, yes, thanks.. Btw, where is the better place to put it in conf
49 files?
50 Anyway, it doesn't seem to work for everything, at least not for
51 evolution. Maybe something missing elsewhere?
54 > > EBUILDS
55 > > How do we find the list (and description?) of packages that can be
56 > > installed? I'm talking of something equivalent to rpmdrake for example
57 >
58 > All the packages are organised in /usr/portage tree. You can use find (or
59 > locate) to browse them.
60
61 Yep, but sometimes some package names are not really explicit. I was
62 thinking of some graphical tool to browse thru some descriptions.
63
64 > > RPM
65 > > rpm is present so i guess it's supported.. but why using rpm 3.0.6 as
66 > > 4.0.3 is the latest version?
67 >
68 > Gentoo is NOT a rpm distribution. The rpm ebuild is put in portage in order
69 > to let you install some (almost always proprietary) software distributed only
70 > in rpms files. Personnally, I don't know any of these that needs rpm 4.
71
72 Yes, you're probably right, I'm just of the "use latest version if
73 possible" school ;-)
74
75 > Anyway, I am sure that your ebuild will be welcome ;+)
76
77 I'll try to learn how to deal with it (i mean, better than only copying
78 them -- damn that thing is easy ;) to do something useful
79
80 Some other things : i receive all messages of this list twice, but i
81 subscribed only once.. A bit strange. need help here :)
82
83 Can someone point me to an _easy_ guide to configure sshd please? I'm
84 having some troubles with it (can't login, maybe key problems) and since
85 I was used to Mandrake "PnP" for this, i'm a bit lost ;)
86
87 Thanks again
88
89 > HTH,