From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] lame use flag, local to global
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:32:13
1 On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 07:55 -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:
2 > Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > On T, 2007-10-09 at 21:03 -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:
4 > >> The little lame use flag has started showing up more in local use flags,
5 > >> and all for the same purpose, MP3 support using LAME libraries. I vote
6 > >> we move it into a global use flag. Any objections, let me know.
7 > >>
8 > >> $ quse -D lame
9 > >> local:lame:media-libs/libquicktime: Support LAME mp3 encoding
10 > >> local:lame:media-libs/mlt: Support LAME mp3 encoding
11 > >> local:lame:media-sound/abcde: Support LAME mp3 encoding
12 > >> local:lame:media-sound/gnusound: Enable lame support
13 > >> local:lame:media-video/mpeg4ip: Support LAME mp3 encoding in the
14 > >> server/mp4live
15 > >
16 > > Any reason to not use something like mp3enc flag instead at that point?
17 > > mp3 USE flag is already global, and appears to mean mp3 decoding, so how
18 > > about a general mp3 encoding USE flag? I guess merging decoding and
19 > > encoding behind the same USE flag might be an option too.
22 > Ah, I knew this question was gonna come up, should have addresed it
23 > first time around.
24 >
25 > The reason we have mp3 and lame use flag is because there is more than
26 > one mp3 encoder. In almost every case of the use flag being applied
27 > above, there is already support for another mp3 codec (ffmpeg). So,
28 > lame adds support for lame, not for mp3, which is also provided.
29 >
30 > When there is just one mp3 codec used in an ebuild, then it makes sense
31 > to use just the mp3 use flag.
32
33 Actually, the encode USE flag makes more sense, if encoding support is
34 optional.
35
36 Basically, it should be like so:
37
38 A is a mp3 program/library, which can do both encoding and decoding. It
39 doesn't use USE=mp3, at all, since it is solely an mp3 program.
40 Encoding support is enabled via USE=encode.
41
42 B is a media program/library, which can do both encoding and decoding
43 for multiple formats. It would use USE=mp3 to enable mp3 support. It
44 would use USE=encode (with mp3 support enabled) to enable mp3 encoding
45 support.
46
47 C is an encoder for multiple formats. It uses USE=mp3 for enabling mp3
48 encoding.
49
50 D is an encoder for mp3. It uses no USE flags, since it is always a mp3
51 encoder.
52
53 I'm sure I missed other cases, but you get the point.
56 Chris Gianelloni
57 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
58 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
59 Games Developer/Foundation Trustee