From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FreeBSD ports...gentoo portage.....new mac/bsd package system
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:16:24
1 On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 17:32, mikepolniak wrote:
2 > The originator of the Free BSD ports system, Jordan K. Hubbard now Engineering
3 > Manager, BSD technology group Apple Computer, posted a lengthy note to the
4 > darwin-dev list about a package system for Apple/BSD:
5 > http://www.macgimp.org/article.php?sid=95
6 >
7 > His note was more a prophetic admonition, but he did propose five characteristics
8 > of what the package system should do/be:
9 > 1. XML-based descriptive file
10 > 2. make files no longer mandatory
11 > 3. treat it like a database
12 > 4. abstract packaging rules to integrate various formats
13 > 5. have an architecture prepared for GUI front-ends
14 >
15 > I thought the gentoo developers would like to read this and perhaps comment
16 > about how gentoo portage is evolving as the package system of the future.
17
18 Yep, I read that and sent Jordan an email. The most important aspect of
19 a "next-generation" packaging system is for it to be designed in a
20 friendly and elegant way so that it is a pleasure to use, whether from
21 the command-line or GUI. I think we will, at some point, extend guide
22 XML (what we use on the Web site) and add an XML description for each
23 package. However, the down and dirty stuff should be kept in the
24 .ebuild file for easy access. It can easily be extracted from the
25 ebuild and converted into XML automatically. Just my opinion, not yet
26 filtered through our developers and their particular insights.
27
28 Best Regards,
31 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
32 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org