From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:51:11
1 On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:15:45PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 July 2004 13:58, Toby Dickenson wrote:
3 > > No need for imagination here.... you can do much of that today with:
4 > >
5 > > emerge --changelog -p -u world
6 >
7 > An XML-based ChangeLog adds semantic meaning, making it much more useful.
8 > It's not too difficult for (most ;-) humans to make sense of our current
9 > ChangeLogs, but tools are always going to be limited in accuracy and
10 > capability.
11
12 And i don't think XML was invented to be edited by a human. It's
13 a format which gets created an changed by programms. It's a pain
14 for people no matter how cool the syntax highliting might be.
15
16 > There's also the added side-effect that it would make validating the ChangeLog
17 > very straight forward through a simple XML Schema.
18
19 XML is fine as long as i don't have to edit it by hand. Almost
20 every other format is nice to handle by people with normal
21 editors. And reading is even worse. Now you a tool to read a
22 Changelog. Ok, maybe i'm the last person which prefers to read
23 such things with less or cat or whatever.
24
25 Metadata is acceptable it's almost only used by apps which parse
26 it. But a Changelog is something people read with a pager or
27 editor. I'm no fan of using tools for simple stuff like reading
28 logs.
31 Christian
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list