From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gzip and gzip-x86
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:45:54
1 Hi All,
2
3 As part of the recent move to app-arch, I also made gzip and gzip-x86
4 PROVIDE virtual/gzip. I haven't made anything depend on virtual/gzip
5 (though all profiles are updated to make gzip the default provider for
6 the virtual). Mainly it seems that gzip-x86 is an optimised gzip for
7 x86 based architectures (not sure about ia64 yet). I guess, I'm
8 curious, because I don't know -- can we make things which depend on gzip
9 instead depend on virtual/gzip so that folks with gzip-x86 can get by
10 without standard gzip?
11
12 Thanks,
13 --
14 Seemant Kulleen
15 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
16 Gentoo Linux http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant
17
18 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
19 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E