From: Mikael Hallendal <micke@×××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] package system brainstorming
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 04:59:58
1 Hi!
2
3 After looking at Gentoo last week I have to say it's really a cool
4 distribution. I've some suggestions (some that might already be in
5 there but I've missed them).
8 * Wouldn't it be better for /etc/make.* to be named /etc/ebuild.* or
9 something. I guess /etc/make.* comes from *BSD? If so renaming to
10 ebuild (or portage.*) would better reflect the package system used
11 in Gentoo.
12
13 * Possibility to specify own mirrors for certain packages, like for
14 example all GNOME/KDE/X packages. Could look like:
15
16 in /etc/make.conf:
17 GNOME_MIRROR="ftp://.../"
18 X_MIRROR="ftp://.../"
19
20 then the package maintainers use
21 SRC_URI="${GNOME_MIRROR}/${A}"
22
23 * Possibility to specify own prefixes for certain packages
24
25 in /etc/make.conf:
26 GNOME_PREFIX="/usr/local/gnome"
27
28 in a package use:
29
30 try ./configure --prefix=${GNOME_PREFIX}
31
32 * A really great feature would be to be able to override certain
33 ebuilds in the portage tree without corrupting the original portage
34 tree. I was thinking that perhaps one could specify a path to your
35 own portage tree and packages in that tree would override the
36 packages in /usr/portage. An example.
37
38 in /etc/make.conf:
39 LOCAL_PORTAGE="/usr/local/portage"
40
41 emerge /usr/portage/x11-libs/gtk+/gtk+-1.2.10-r1.ebuild (which
42 depends on >= dev-libs/glib-1.2.10.
43
44 Now portage looks in ${LOCAL_PORTAGE}/dev-libs/glib/ to see if it
45 finds a package fullfilling the dependency. If it does it uses that
46 ebuild-script instead (perhaps we can add a possibility to be asked
47 if you really want that, like:
48
49 Found a matching ebuild in ${LOCAL_PORTAGE}... do you want to use
50 that instead [y/n]. This can be configured in /etc/make.conf (with
51 ASK_LOCAL="yes/no".
52
53 This feature would really make Gentoo a superior developer platform
54 since it'll enable a developer to use there own versions (or as me,
55 use a local cvs copy of a package) of certain packages without
56 corrupting the original portage tree.
57
58 It will also be transparent for the ordinary user, since if you
59 haven't specified a LOCAL_PORTAGE there isn't any changes in
60 behaviour from now.
61
62 If you want to discuss these suggestions with me I'm Hallski on IRC.
63
64 Regards,
65 Mikael Hallendal
68 Mikael Hallendal                micke@×××××××××××.se
69 CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/
70 Office: +46 (0)8 587 583 05     Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918