From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 19:27:30
1 On 1/19/20 2:02 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 >> If you're sharing /home, you also have to be sharing user accounts,
4 >> unless you want everyone to be assigned a random set of files.
5 >
6 > I imagine that most people setting up something like this would only
7 > be sharing high-value UIDs (>1000 in our case). There is no need for
8 > postfix on your Gentoo box and postfix on your Debian box to have the
9 > same UID. You wouldn't be sshing from postfix on the one to postfix
10 > on the other and expecting to have the same home directory contents.
13 You can't do that. If you're going to mount files from one system onto
14 another system, using only an integer <--> username mapping as your
15 access control mechanism, then you'd better be damn sure that those
16 integers and usernames match on all systems. Otherwise I might wind up
17 sharing /home/mjo to rich0 because the "mjo" and "rich0" groups both
18 have gid 1000 locally.
21 > Since it is a local account, not in /home, then it would be a separate
22 > user even if the UID is the same (or otherwise). You'd set up amavis
23 > on each mail server. They might be running different distros. They
24 > would be using local users.
25 >
26 > Don't get me wrong, it would be cleaner if POSIX users had a scope the
27 > way that an OS like Windows does it, but it isn't a big deal if you
28 > use high-numbered UIDs for shared users, and low-numbered UIDs for
29 > local users.
30
31 It's a huge deal. Random users/groups can access your files if the
32 databases don't agree. The local/remote user distinction does not exist.
35 >> Everything is fine here, this all works and has worked for 20 years.
36 >
37 > Sure, it works fine if you have a single host, or do nothing to share
38 > your home directories, which I imagine is what 95% of Gentoo users do.
39 > I doubt most Gentoo users even encrypt /home, even though this has
40 > been standard for most of those 20 years on just about every major
41 > distro out there.
42 >
43 > If a user wants to put this stuff in /home we should certainly support
44 > that, and it would work fine if the user sets up the account properly
45 > before installing the package. They might get a QA warning, but that
46 > is the user's concern.
47
48 We've talked this to death. Barring any new evidence, /home still seems
49 like the best place for these, and I don't want to put them in the wrong
50 spot (forcing users to migrate) just to appease a QA warning from before
51 GLEP81 was a thing.