From: davecode@××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:03:30
1 Well I'm a newcomer to Gentoo and never heard of Sabayon (great project
2 btw). Knowing no one here or there, nor any history:
3
4 This conversation reminds me of Human Resources. They always have
5 'procedures' and 'career tracks.' Gentoo's chitchat about earning gold
6 stars and brownie points is giving me HR sickness. You're asking
7 Michael Jordan to prove himself on the high school team.
8
9 I've read Gentoo's new dev announcements about monkeys and paper
10 weights. People with a couple of small open-source projects. The
11 monkeys and paper weights get CVS rights. Then the chief architect of
12 Sabayon is scotched over bugzilla output? Please. That smells like bad
13 fish.
14
15 When someone as expert as this offers help, take it and make him a fast
16 lane. He is worth ten bugzillas. Like a scientist once told me - it
17 would be inefficient for him to clean his office, they have janitors for
18 that.
19
20 Bugzillas are broken and most Linux people know it. Ubuntu has hundreds
21 of bugs sitting around for years and years. Personally: I have stopped
22 filing bugzillas at various places. Projects organized around bugzillas
23 are inefficient.
24
25 Bugzillas are mostly good for non-devs to report bugs. I know zero
26 developers who first think to themselves, "ok, I need a project
27 bugzilla...then I can begin writing code." That isn't how development
28 works.
29
30 "So you don't have time to file bugs but you would have time to fix
31 them" is rhetoric. The issue is ROI. Why file bugzillas that some
32 "dev" authority figure may or may not fix in two years, when you can fix
33 the code yourself?
34
35 If you want to call him a Gentoo developer, then do so ASAP, and give
36 him CVS. He knows what he is doing and filing bugzillas is a waste of
37 talent. If you let him fix his own bugzillas he might go for that.
38
39 But wasting his life trying to earn brownie points and respect? Sad.
40 Gentoo needs the manpower and blowing it off with HR excuses is really,
41 really dumb. I can hardly believe what I'm reading. It makes me want
42 to cry. Maybe I should help Sabayon deploy on PowerPC instead of
43 writing to you guys. I don't really care who misunderstood whom, or who
44 has an attitude problem. There needs to be a red carpet for people like
45 this. I would not care if he had a 666 on his head.
46
47 You need to attract people like this and if bugzilla isn't working,
48 think up something new.
49
50 If you dislike his CVS mods you can always revert, take votes, etc. But
51 I say +1 let him have at it.
54 http://www.fastmail.fm - A fast, anti-spam email service.
57 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list