From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Virus
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:06:15
1 > > The only list I am currently active on is this. While hard to
2 > believe
3 > > the most logical conclusion is that some gentoo-dev subscribers has
4 >
5 > > been infected.
6 > You neglect the spread mechanism here. Given that the worm forges
7 > it's
8 > source address to a random value, the ONLY requirement to recieve an
9 > infected email from somebody is that they have have at some point
10 > recieved an email from you (either directly or via some mailing list)
11 > in
12 > the past, and they still have your email on their system.
15 Reading the virus description again I see that I missed a critival
16 part. The virus does not use the victims smtp but rather one of 350
17 diffrent servers around the world, thus this may very well come from
18 the same host.
21 Im sorry about the superflous list traffic.
22
23 /John