From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tetromino@g.o
Subject: [OT] Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:54:02
1 On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 02:04:20 -0400
2 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I realize that not everybody agrees with me, but I see ~arch as a
5 > "semi-stable" branch - an internally consistent branch for people who
6 > don't feel like maintaining a horrific mess of keywords and masks in
7 > their /etc/portage and don't want to wait weeks/months for bugfixes to
8 > their favorite ebuilds to be marked stable by overworked arch teams,
9 > and who don't mind seeing an occasional build failure or crash as a
10 > consequence of standing closer to the bleeding edge.
11
12 [[ TL;DR: This mail is a confirmation with some more side details. ]]
13
14 +1. I do agree; it works well, and the occasional regression that
15 manages to get through often isn't too bad. Maybe once in multiple
16 years you end up with a broken boot; however, that's not a huge problem
17 if you plan upgrades to not be in front of a deadline / presentation.
18
19 > In my view, experimental work not ready for general exposure should be
20 > kept in overlays and/or the main tree's package.mask, depending on how
21 > the particular project's workflow is organized.
22
23 Indeed; take for example MATE, I bump the packages over a span of a few
24 days and keep it masked until mate-base/mate. With GNOME it is similar.
25
26 This is a case where I need more packages do the standard developer
27 testing; so, I can't just have an individual package unmasked without
28 being able to confirm that it actually works at run-time.
29
30 For version bumps / new packages I just don't add them to the tree till
31 I have confidently tested for it to not be a bug magnet, but rather a
32 stabilization candidate; I thus don't understand such p.mask entries.
33
34 > At any given stability level, a system-critical library ideally ought
35 > to be better-tested than, say, a game or a media player. In practice,
36 > this sometimes doesn't happen, because some system-critical library
37 > maintainers don't care about ~arch users and dump experimental code in
38 > their laps, and in my view that's a bad thing because it encourages
39 > users to come up with ad-hoc mixed arch/~arch setups which have
40 > *never* been tested by any developer.
41
42 The granted ability to make a choice brings its own limits. :)
45 With kind regards,
46
47 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
48 Gentoo Developer
49
50 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
51 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
52 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D