From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache.eclass proposed
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 19:50:55
1 On Sunday 08 June 2003 21:45, Robin H.Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 06:12:21AM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > After writing a net-www/ ebuild it seemed apparent to me that we are
4 > > going to need an apache.eclass. A quick find in portage reveals quite a
5 > > few independent ebuilds all needing the basic functionality that could
6 > > be provided by an apache.eclass
7 >
8 > I agree that having this would be worthwhile, however it has been said
9 > higher up before that /home/httpd/htdocs would be where things were
10 > installed.
11 >
12 > > syntactically perfect the idea is what matters..
13 > > I have attached an apache.eclass that I welcome your input/feedback on.
14 > > While it may not be syntactically perfect for the apache2 part its the
15 > > idea that we get this out there and start talking about one that
16 > > matters.
17 >
18 > A few problems with this.
19 > 1. What about people that have both installed? I actually have an open
20 > bug for mod_php about this, and I'm trying to decide on a workable
21 > solution. Presently I'm leaning towards an enviroment variable
22 > 'FORCE_APACHE=1|2' that overrides any detection routines, for the
23 > special case of people that have both.
24
25 This is what the apache2 use variable is supposed to do. At least, as far as I
26 know.
29 > 2. All of the functions start misbehaving when you have multiple
30 > instances of the User/Group/DocumentRoot configuration directives.
31 >
32 > 3. The 'newdepend virtual/glibc sys-apps/gawk sys-apps/grep'
33 > is questionable.
34 > newdepend is definately correct for the apache install,
35 > however the others shouldn't be required at runtime.
36
37 I agree with both points.
38
39 Paul