From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/fstab in new install
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:46:10
1 On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 11:23:39PM -0500, Dave Bresson wrote:
4 > I'm editing my /etc/fstab after a new install of rc4 pre2, which was easy
5 > for my root and swap partitions (which had template entries all set up),
6 > however there is no template for my boot partition that i also created.
7 > I'm guessing that this is because a partition dedicated just to /boot is
8 > not neccessary, only nice. Anyway, i know the syntax of the entry i need
9 > to create and such, and merely wanted to ask if there might be any tips
10 > y'all might have for the various mounting options for my boot partition,
11 > besides maybe the obvious 'rw' option (well, at least that one seems
12 > obvious to me). I'm mainly concerned in keeping my /boot safe, stable and
13 > secure. I'm new to reiserfs, so perhaps there's some cool new options
14 > for it i don't know about (my /boot is reiserfs as recommended). Oh, and
15 > another thing, regarding the dump and fsck fields, I'm guessing that dump
16 > should be a 0, and fsck a 1 (so that it's checked before the root
17 > partition maybe?). Am i correct in this thinking?
18
19 There's a sample line in the new install guide. The option you're looking
20 for is "noauto". You normally don't want /boot mounted unless you need
21 to update the kernel sitting on it.
22
23 > p.s. By the way, I'd just like to thank Daniel and Achim for their fast
24 > work in dealing with the rc3 iso earlier today, and in fixing the rc4 pre2
25 > iso. Now my install on my p90 works :)
26
27 Wonderful, glad we could help. :)
30 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
31 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org