From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage on dial-up connection?
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:43:35
1 On Sunday 03 March 2002 12:51, Sami Al-Sayed wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Just a quick query about Gentoo/Portage:
5 >
6 > Is it possible to use Portage with a standard (and pretty slow) PPP dial-up
7 > modem connection (ie. 56K)? Does Portage support resume of broken
8 > downloads?
9 >
10 > I have a free dial-up internet connection which (annoyingly) disconnects
11 > itself after every 2 hours of being connected, and would like to give
12 > Gentoo a try, as I have so far not been completely satisfied with the
13 > various binary distributions I've tried and their package management
14 > systems. I am also a self-confessed optimisation fanatic :-)
15 I and quite a few users have 56k dialup connections (not sure about other
16 developers though :-). I've never had any problems; I'm used to the
17 connection speed in general and downloadnig sources isn't any worse than
18 downloading other things (emotionally speaking). Anyway, once you build up a
19 big downloaded source databse in distfiles/ of a gigabyte or two, the
20 occasional download of a new version isn't very taxing on even a 56k
21 connection.
22
23 The latest build disk has dilup support, too.
24
25 Download resuming is already fully supported in the portage-1.8.9 tree. It is
26 now unstable and masked, but will be released before gentoo v1.0, and that
27 means beore the end of March.
30 Dan Armak
31 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE)
32 Matan, Israel