From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new portage categories
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:12:28
1 On 2/4/08, Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××××.cc> wrote:
2 > On 2/4/08, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 20:11 Mon 04 Feb , Jonas Bernoulli wrote:
4 > > > Thinking about it again I would say tags and categories just fulfill
5 > > > different purposes. Tags can not replace categories but might be a
6 > > > useful extension to categories for the tasks I described, not more not
7 > > > less. They are not better or worse, just different:)
8 > >
9 > > Why don't you think they can replace categories?
10 >
11 > Quick answer: Because there are packages with the same name in
12 > different categories. How would tags deal with that?
13
14 Techincally you could enforce UNIQUE(pkg,[tags]), I agree thats a poor
15 constraint though ;)
18 > Long answer: Well maybe there is a way. But I think that it would
19 > probably take a long time to make such a change. Technically tags
20 > could probably replace categories but then their would be no definite
21 > "full" name for that package anymore.
22 >
23 > Someone calls it foo/app and someone bar/app, and since there is also
24 > fuu/app which is a different application but with the same name,
25 > nobody would no for sure about package is being taked about without
26 > checking if his beloved foo/app is the same as bar/app the other guy
27 > is talking about. Also how do you sort the packages in the tree? all
28 > in one directory?! every package in the directories of each tag it
29 > belongs to using hardlinks?
30
31 Filtering packages on tags would be very difficult without a metadata
32 cache for metadata XML as you would need to pull down each package's
33 metadata.xml to determine if it meets your filtering requirements.
34 Excluding individual packages wouldn't be that hard although I imagine
35 there may be problems with the length of the rsync command line if
36 your filtering is too aggressive ;)
39 > -- Jonas
40 > --
41 > gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list