From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid question regarding 'fixpackages'
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:31:49
1 On 10/20/03 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 20 October 2003 20:12, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > > On 10/20/03 Joachim Breuer wrote:
5 > > > Now, my question is: Shouldn't fixpackages 'stabilize', i.e. not
6 > > > perform global updates it has already performed? The way it is now
7 > > > I'd hate to think what an upgrade will be like a year or two from
8 > > > now... If this 'stabilizing' cannot be done I'd like to know for
9 > > > what reason, perhaps I'd want to take a look whether there really
10 > > > isn't an useful optimization.
11 > >
12 > > Well, there are different opinions on that. I'd like to make the
13 > > fixpackages script behave the same way as FEATURES="fixpackages",
14 > > but there is a reason not to do this: the do_upgrade function which
15 > > actually does all the work for fixpackages (and more) maintains a
16 > > mtime table when it runs, but it is run by emerge and fixpackages.
17 > > The problem now is that when do_upgrade runs from emerge without
18 > > FEATURES="fixpackages" it updates the mtime table, that means the
19 > > information would be wrong for fixpackages. I guess in the end we
20 > > will have to add another mtime table for fixpackages to fix this
21 > > issue.
22 >
23 > I hate to sound lame, but I'm not sure I followed that correclty.
24 > fixpackages, when called using FEATURES, only fixes the packages that
25 > the emerge process touches? And, when calling fixpackages directly, it
26 > processes all packages? Is that correct? If not, can you please
27 > explaing the difference between the two?
28
29 No, both versions touch all packages, the difference is that the
30 FEATURES thing will only use updates files (in
31 /usr/portage/profiles/updates) that were changed since the last run
32 while the fixpackages script always uses all update files for the
33 reasons I outlined above.
34
35 Marius
40 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
41 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.