From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Virtuals revisited (Round 3)
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:06:20
1 On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:53:38 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > An example of exactly how portage would 'solve' this would be
4 | > helpful. Would it ask for an unmerge of gvim-6.3 or would it include
5 | > an upgrade of gvim-6.3 as part of the "emerge ~vim-7"?
6 |
7 | Yep something like that. The specifics of what to do in various cases
8 | such as that one have not been worked out but are irrelevant to the
9 | glep anyway. The glep only need require that it is handled.
10
11 Better to say *how* it would be handled IMO.
12
13 | > 3) We don't specify every virtual in every profile thanks to
14 | > cascades.
15 |
16 | And...? I guess you are referring to "profiles must provide a default
17 | ..." but that _is_ a correct statement. If somebody wants to create a
18 | new profile that doesn't derive from base, they must specify defaults
19 | for all the virtuals.
20
21 Serves them right for not deriving from base :)
22
23 | > 4) Backwards compatibility -- all virtuals ebuilds should include
24 | > DEPEND=">=portage-2.whatever" as well as the "|| ( foo bar )" stuff.
25 |
26 | Why? The virtuals would be no different to regular packages.
27
28 Oh, actually, it's worse than I thought. You can't use virtual/ as the
29 prefix *at all*.
30
31 ciaranm@snowdrop overlay 0 0.10 $ cat virtual/breakme/breame-1.ebuild
32 ciaranm@snowdrop overlay 0 0.09 $ cat app-misc/breakme/breakme-1.ebuild
33 DEPEND="virtual/breakme"
34 KEYWORDS="x86"
35 ciaranm@snowdrop overlay 1 0.05 $ FEATURES=-candy emerge
36 app-misc/breakme -pv
37
38 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
39
40 Calculating dependencies -
41 !!! Cannot resolve a virtual package name to an ebuild.
42 !!! This is a bug, please report it. (virtual/breakme-1)
43
44 AFAIK, virtual can't be removed from categories either...
47 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
48 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
49 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm